Sunday, June 3, 2012

Down the Aisle in Style

**Please visit me at my new blog, My Nearly Empty Nest, for more great ideas!** 


Have you ever worked somewhere for so long that your co-workers become family?  Where you're invested in their life events (babies, weddings, etc) as much as your own?  Yep, that's what it's like where I work.  And when one of those co-workers announced she was getting married I was truly excited for her!  

My friend, Stephanie, had decided on a beach wedding in May.  I saw pictures of her wedding dress as well as her bridesmaid's dress.  I knew the people doing her flowers and photos.  Even though I knew I wouldn't be able to attend the wedding, I still got to share in her joy of the details.  So when she mentioned about trying to find flip flops for her wedding dress online and not having any luck my brain started spinning.  Decorating wedding flip flops could be my gift to her.

And here they are!  

I decorated flip flops for both her and her bridesmaid.  Other than deciding on materials and layout, creating the embellishments wasn't difficult.  All the materials even came from Wal-Mart!  So how about some details?

I began with some Ocean Pacific flip flops.  These were chosen because Stephanie wanted a bit of a heel.  I also liked the wider band across the top of the foot but not its texture.  So the band was covered with white satin ribbon.  It was wrapped around the strap and stitched to hold it in place. The OP tag was also cut out before the ribbon was added.


Side note:  Let me be the first to say I am not a seamstress.  I have a difficult time sewing buttons on.  So for those who can sew I'm sure you have a much better way to attach the ribbon.  I was just happy it stayed.  

Once the ribbon was attached I added some ruffled trim.  I had considered hot gluing this ribbon on but I worried about the sand, heat and walking having some ill effect on it so I went with sewing it on.  This was the same process for both pairs of flip flops.

For the bride's, the silver stone trim was sewn over the top of the ruffled ribbon and small white flowers were clustered and hand stitched in the center.  
Bride's shoes
Detail of Bride's shoes
For the bridesmaid's I didn't want an exact replica of Stephanie's shoes but I wanted them to coordinate.  A small strip of the silver stone trim was stitched down the center and the same flowers were added along the sides.  As you can see in the photos, the stone trim stopped just above the toe area as not to rub the foot.  I also tacked the trim in only a few spots in order to give some play in it as the bridesmaid was walking.  
Bridesmaid's shoes
Detail of Bridesmaid's shoes

 And since we all love a cost breakdown, here it is:

**** All supplies from Wal-Mart ****

Shoes - $4.96 each
White satin ribbon - $1.00 (didn't even use half the roll)
Ruffled Ribbon - $2.97 (used about half)
Stone Ribbon - $4.97 
Flowers - $2.96 for set of 6 (used 3 sets)
Thread - on hand 
Band-aids - Priceless!

Total:  $27.74 for two pair

Although I only pricked my finger once to the point of bleeding I couldn't resist adding the band-aids to the list!  With my lack of sewing skills I figured I would be wearing one on every finger.  But if I had, it would have been worth it since Stephanie is such a good friend!  Congrats Steph!



7 comments:

  1. Very cool! You have given me a great idea for a pair I am bored with -- not getting married but your idea can be adapted. Maybe you should go into business!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How creative! You did a great job! Thanks for sharing at Wedding Week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenny, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these. I would wear them anytime they are so cute. Please come share them on my linky party!
    http://www.igottatrythat.com/p/blog-hop-linky-colde.html
    Thanks
    Marcie @ www.IGottaTryThat.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can not find those flip flops anywhere or anything similar to them for that great of a price, if anyone knows somewhere I would really appreciate it.
    I already checked op.com which linked to walmart.com and I didn't find them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becca, thanks for stopping by. It took me several weeks of stalking Wal-Mart's shoe department before these came in stock. I found that the closer it got to summer the more styles they put out. Good luck in your search. I hope you find them!

      Delete

This is a drama-free-zone and any comment that is malicious, spammy, or otherwise inappropriate will be deleted. Thanks!